SMP CoLab Exclusive
Begun in 1749, Abbeyhorn is the last horn manufacturing business in the UK and one of a few companies left in the world preserving this ancient art.
Their collaboration with SMP resulted in this Cattle Horn Cup Kit, which allows you to stick, saw, sand, shape and polish your own tumbler from this unusual and captivating material.
We visited them at their factory in Holme, Lancashire to find out how, and why, they do what they do...
Many thanks to film maker Sapphire Goss of Planet Caravan
The kit contains:
- A tubular section of raw horn, cut by Abbeyhorn, to form the body of the cup
- A flat plate of horn, cut and pressed by Abbeyhorn, to form the base
- 320 and 100 grit sandpaper
- Fine-grade wire wool
- Fine-grade metal workers hacksaw
- Metal workers file
- Beeswax brick
- Araldite Instant Clear Adhesive, as recommended by Abbeyhorn
- Olive or Vegetable oil
- Mineral spirits