SMP CoLab Exclusive
Begun in 1749, Abbeyhorn is the last horn manufacturing business in the UK and one of a few companies left in the world preserving this ancient art.
Their collaboration with SMP resulted in this Scottish Red Deer Antler Whistle Kit, which allows you to saw, sand, shape and polish your own whistle from this unusual and captivating material.
We visited them at their factory in Holme, Lancashire to find out how, and why, they do what they do...
Many thanks to film maker Sapphire Goss of Planet Caravan
The kit contains:
- Two Scottish Red Deer Antler tyne (5/16" x 3.5")
- Wooden dowel
- Chinese cord in electric blue
- 320 & 100 grit sandpaper
- 8mm drill bit
- Fine-grade wire wool
- Fine-grade metal workers junior hacksaw
- Metal workers file
- Electric hand drill
- Precision knife
- Wood glue (New Evo-Stik Resin Interior Wood Adhesive 125ml)
- Vegetable Oil
- Clamp (if you don't have access to a clamp, our whistle vice and g-clamp set is specially made for the job)